Friday 26 March 2010

I certainly got it wrong, says Geoff Hoon

Geoff Hoon today admitted he had been wrong to meet what he believed to be a lobbying firm and apologised "unreservedly" for the damage he has caused.


"I certainly got it wrong," he said. "I have paid a considerable price [Nato's dropped him] since then for the mistake I made in agreeing to what I thought was a private conversation. I obviously didn't know that private conversation was being filmed and recorded for broadcast, and I shouldn't have said some of the things that I did say. I recognise that I was guilty of ... [acting like a right cunt] 'showing off' I think is the best expression that I could use. I was trying to impress, I was trying to demonstrate my [sexual prowess] knowledge and experience, background in a particular sector."

Read the full Guardian article here.