Sunday 11 July 2010

Reckless Tory MP drunk in charge of a constituency

A Kent MP has apologised for being drunk in the House of Commons and missing a vote on the Budget. Mark Reckless said he did not feel it was appropriate to take part in the vote in the early hours of Wednesday because of the amount he had drunk. The  told BBC Radio Kent: "I made a mistake. I'm really sorry about it."

How many shades of Tory twat do you want in one picture?

Mr Reckless, who started work at Westminster following the general election on 6 May as Conservative MP for Rochester and Strood, said: "I'm terribly, terribly embarrassed. I apologise unreservedly and I don't plan to drink again at Westminster." Mr Reckless denied claims that he fell asleep on the terrace or got a taxi back to his constituency. He added: "I remember someone asking me to vote and not thinking it was appropriate, given how I was at the time. If I was in the sort of situation generally where I thought I was drunk I tend to go home. Westminster is a very special situation and all I can say... is given this very embarrassing experience I don't intend to drink at Westminster again."

In July 2008, Daniel Hannan wrote in his Telegraph blog: "Many congratulations to the Conservatives of Rochester and Strood, who have wisely readopted Mark Reckless as their candidate. I ought to declare an interest: Mark is one of my oldest friends, and was my best man. (He insisted on organising my stag night in Reykjavik, determined that we should celebrate Iceland’s status outside the EU.)" 

What a lucky woman Mrs Hannan is.