Sunday 6 June 2010

Jesus Christ, someone has to stop Simon Cowell redefining entertainment to match his own intelligence

This was my first encounter with Britain's Got Talent and it was quite obvious there wasn't much talent on offer. Not what Mama would call talent, Miss Gypsy Rose Lee. Quite sensibly, I had waited until the programme was an hour in before I started watching my recording. This advice had been given to me by someone who knew I wouldn't have lasted the whole programme if I had to endure Amanda Holden's fake orgasm in between each act.  

Spellbound had a certain je ne sais quoi

Considering that my last memory of Saturday evening television was Seaside Special, the bar was already set quite low. I wasn't quite prepared however to have my senses mauled by a fat little runt shrieking Danny Boy at me or some gaga old bint singing a completely random song while the orchestra played Non, Je Ne Regrette Rien.  Then there were dancers. And more dancers. And dancers who could stand on top of each other. Somewhere in the midst of all this, apparently, there was a professional entertainer, the name of whom escapes me - it seemed to blend in so well with the rest of the mass hysteria that the television company insisted upon stirring up as a substitute for quality. This was car crash television. At one point I actually wished that Derrick Bird had managed to hold out for just a few more days.

Now, where's my Worzel Gummidge video?

UPDATE 07/06/10 04:55
It would seem I'm alone in my view as Simon Cowell was last night awarded a special outstanding achievement award and a second prize for Britain's Got Talent, which was named best entertainment show, at the BAFTA Television Awards in London. Cowell created the X Factor and Britain's Got Talent formats for ITV and both have been sold around the world. The X Factor is broadcast in twenty-six countries. Both shows have attracted prime-time audiences of up to twenty million for ITV and have launched the singing careers of Leona Lewis, Alexandra Burke and Susan Boyle.

Cowell said: "I've had a blast. I've done things I never thought I'd be able to do. To put this into perspective, one of my happiest memories as a kid was when my Dad came home with a colour TV set and all my friends came over.... So for me to be standing here tonight getting an award for making TV shows is the happiest feeling of my life."

I'm thrilled.  Really.