Monday 31 May 2010

From shirt-lifter to home-flipper

Danny Alexander said last night that he had been “advised” that he was not liable for the tax but admitted it was his second home for parliamentary purposes.  “I have always listed London as my second home on the basis set out in the parliamentary rules as I spent more time in my constituency than I did in London,” he said.  “I sold the [south London] flat in 2007 and moved to another flat but was advised that CGT was not payable because of the operation of final period relief, which exempts homes from CGT for 36 months after they stop being the main home.  I paid all the taxes required but CGT was not payable on the disposal of my flat. I have already publicly declared that I will pay capital gains tax if the time comes for me to sell my [new] second home.”